vital link with Whitstable’s shipbuilding
and fishing industries
is the last of the traditional wooden Oyster Yawls remaining in
Whitstable and the only yawl in public ownership. In many places
a yawl would be known as a smack. The oyster yawl’s design
is well suited to the farming of oysters in the shallow, estuary
waters off Whitstable. At one stage the oyster trade with London
flourished and the Whitstable fleet reached 150 boats.
was built by the Whitstable Shipping Company in 1890, close by her
present site in Island Wall, for Edward 'Pikey' Carden the proprietor
of the Fisherman’s Arms, which is now 34 Island Wall.
Her ironwork was made in the forge that is now Shipyard Cottage
(see the sketch below). A working life of 54 years came to an end
when she was machine gunned in 1944 and beached. Just before the
sea wall was built in 1953, she was hauled into the garden of Favourite
Cottage and moved to her present site next door in 1978.
map below, believed to date from 1872 slightly earlier
than Favourite's building, shows three shipbuilding
slips and a large capstan just in this small area.
Favourite's current site is shown with buildings.
(Click to magnify)